Tuesday, December 6, 2016

2016 (part 3)

Weeks and months passed and I got rid of everything in the house that could potentially cause an allergic reaction. I started the low-nickel diet and said goodbye to peanut butter, my favorite food! I prayed and stayed positive, after all we finally had a diagnosis! Unfortunately I wasn't healing, and I actually was having some new flare-ups. On November 28th I went back in for a 2nd round of testing, this time they tested for another 70 things.  My 2nd round of testing revealed 4 new things that I'm allergic to. One that I am severely allergic to is PPD a chemical in hair dyes, textiles, temporary tattoos, and printer ink. I am so allergic to it that I can have a reaction just by being near someone with dark hair dye and the information I was given regarding the allergy even suggested avoiding dark colored clothing.They also found that I am also allergic to a Benzophenone-4 (a chemical in sunscreen),vitamin E, and a propylene glycol (a food preservative). After my first round of testing I received a print out from the database of all of the products on the market that were safe for me to use. This included medicines, make up, household products, toiletries, etc. The first list was 100 pages long and now it's down to only 48 pages. Several of the products I had been using that were previously "safe" like my deodorant, toothpaste, and conditioner were no longer on the list. It's nuts how every decision I make from here out will be affected by these allergies. I received several injections in my scalp for the sores that have been there so long, they said I was losing my hair in those spots. I also got injections in my back and arm.They wouldn't even put bandaids over where I was bleeding because they were worried I'd react to the bandaids. The nurse called me Bubble Girl and I almost punched her in her face, although I know she was only trying to lighten the mood. Chad was with me so that he could process all of the information and know how to help with the lifestyle changes from here out. The injections would take a few days to start working on the really bad spots, and then I was to start a really strong steroid regimen that will last 3 weeks... I'm to eliminate everything from the house that contains the allergens and study up on each of them to be aware of situations when I might come in contact with them. I have put together a binder that I'll take with me everywhere from now on, it lists all of my allergies and also the different names they can go by under ingredient lists- that can get very complicated. It also lists all of the low-nickel foods for grocery shopping. I will still be on the low nickel diet probably for the rest of my life. Here is a little information about how my condition works, and a picture of what the patches looked like before they were removed.





This is definitely a lot to process, I'm trying to stay as positive as possible. The idea that in the future I could no longer be itchy, and able to wear something other than long pants and skirts is unbelievable. This has been such a rough journey, I'm honestly willing to lose some things I love (like reeses and coloring my hair) in order to feel better. I've ordered new soaps, detergents, toiletries, make up, etc. As we speak I'm waiting on an Amazon delivery of new shampoo and conditioner so I can finally wash my hair!! 

I have to say that I am not one to get emotional over ooey-gooey stuff, but I have found myself in tears a lot over the past week because I feel so overwhelmed by the love and support I have received after this diagnosis. I am truly blessed to be loved and cared for by so many amazing people. I know that their prayers have helped my family so much during this process. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow honey you are so strong to be going through this and keeping a smile on your face. You are very inspiring! So does the allergy to dark dye mean like the girls clothes have to be picked out carefully too? Or like how I got my hair colored darker, would you not be able to sit near me? I am just curious if it is by touch or like smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this specific allergy is through contact, so we would be ok being together but I wouldn't be able to love on you, no hugs, probably no hanging out on your bed or laying on your couch. No sharing brushes- basically just playing it safe. It suggests staying away from dark colored clothing specifically black, brown, and navy- I own so much black! For this, I'm just not in the position to throw out all of my clothes and buy new ones- nor would I until I knew for sure it would have a pretty big impact. I'm just going to be conscious of what I buy from now on and maybe make red or hot pink my new go-to color ;)

      Delete