Tuesday, December 6, 2016

2016 (part 4)

Now for the good...

In my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, there are not paid officials. No paid ministers, youth leaders, or choir directors. We all receive "callings" to serve in different capacities as the Lord sees fit, we give of our own time and resources and through members serving the church is able to function. In the past I have served as an adult Sunday School teacher, Young Women's leader, and activity planner. Another thing my church does is something called Seminary. It is an hour long class for high school students to attend before school Monday through Friday, all school year long, all 4 years of high school. The class involves scripture study, learning and applying doctrine, and growing as disciples of Jesus Christ. It is a very big deal and big commitment for these teenagers, and students who graduate from the seminary program receive a great deal of esteem, rightfully so.


Back in the Spring I met with leaders from my church and was asked to accept the calling of Seminary teacher for the school year of 2016-2017. This meant planning daily lessons for the students and teaching the class in my home for the entire school year. I accepted the call to serve in this capacity, and dove into research and planning. There were definitely obstacles regarding being able to serve in such a demanding role. I had small children in the home to take care of in the mornings, and although the leaders of the church didn't know, I was struggling with my health and all of the skin issues. There were concerns vocalized by some family members, mostly regarding too much being on my plate and the extra stress being too much for me to handle while I worked on finding a diagnosis for my skin issues. My grandmother was livid and thought they should have "asked" someone who didn't have small children to raise, although she has changed her tune now...sort of ;). 


 I was nervous, to be sure, but it became clear very quickly to me that I didn't receive this calling amidst all I was going through, but that the Lord extended this calling to me because of all I was going through. I was put in the position of studying the scriptures daily, not just reading them, but studying and learning and preparing myself to teach others about the Gospel. Every morning I get to spend an hour discussing the Savior and praising Him. I get the blessing of witnessing the testimonies of 9 teenagers grow each day as they draw nearer unto Him. I can't imagine how dismal I could have felt this year while going through all of my skin stuff. I know if I hadn't been serving the Lord in this manner I would not have been able to power through this. I wake up at 5:20 every morning and spend some alone time in silence getting ready for the day, then at 6:30 I start my day with the Holy Spirit strongly teaching and testifying of my Savior and loving Heavenly Father teaching and learning and laughing with 9 amazing young men and women. I couldn't imagine a more perfect situation to be in amidst the chaos of what I was dealing with. It strengthened me to be able to put my issues aside and care for my family, teach my class, and see the blessings rather than the burdens. I see and receive the tender mercies of the Lord daily, I know he loves me. I know the Savior knows what I am dealing with and offers the invitation to take His yoke upon me. His love truly strengthens me daily, and I'm ending this year with a stronger testimony of that than I've ever had before. 



my awesome group of students



1 comment:

  1. Layne, Thank you for all you do! You are blessing their lives so much. I know the Lord will continue to lift you as you serve. I'm glad to hear you are finding some answers for your health problems. I hope you can feel better!

    ReplyDelete