Monday, January 2, 2017

I'm a huge fan of New Year's resolutions. I realize that they're very polarizing but for me, personally, I love them. I like setting goals, I think it's a great thing to do. I think it builds character. I also think the time span of the beginning of a year to the end is a great way to measure progress. Rome wasn't built in a day, but a year can definitely bring about significant change and improvement. It's true that often our resolutions are forgotten or forgone after a while, but that's not always the case, and I don't see why we wouldn't at least try to set goals and stick to them.

As I've reflected on what was arguably one of the toughest years of my life due to ongoing health issues I've come up with several goals that I'm resolving to meet during 2017, and I thought I'd share them with y'all!

Resolution #1: Drink more water

I am admittedly bad at drinking enough h2o. You would think as someone who is invested in health and nutrition I would be on top of this, but unfortunately I need to do much much better. I know the thousands of health benefits to staying adequately hydrated, so in this case do as I say and not as I do. My goal for this year is to really kick it up a notch with my water consumption and reap the benefits of this change.

Resolution #2: Reinstate Family Home Evenings

My church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, suggests having a night each week in which you have spiritual growth time as a family. These evenings can be really structured with hymns, lessons, scriptures, etc or they can be relaxed time spent together as a family focusing on positive and righteous activities. When my oldest child was the age my youngest is now my husband and I were really consistent with our FHEs. However, when the baby was born we stopped... It got to be "too much" with an infant and then we rationalized that she was too young or a distraction... None of our excuses were great. Now that she's 2 I really want commit to a weekly FHE. My 5 year old has a strong testimony and very special relationship with the Lord and I know that our family nights when she was younger contributed to that. I want to give my baby the same experience. I know our family unit will be stronger because of it and the Spirit in our home will increase.

Resolution #3: Love myself more

I'm currently working on a project that deals with positive body image and self love. I look forward to sharing it with you down the road. This project was prompted by an experience I had a while back when I was able to look in the mirror at myself and really appreciate my body for the first time. This is huge for me because my entire life I've struggled with body dysmorphia and low self esteem. I'm not in the best shape of my life right now, quite the contrary... because of my health issues I've been on a very high dose of steroids on and off for months that has caused me to gain weight and be unable to lose it.  I have scars all over from my skin condition, permanent circles under my eyes from allergies and motherhood, and stretch marks from carrying two babies. But one morning I was able to look in the mirror and appreciate my body exactly as it is right now, flaws included. I wanted to hold onto that feeling and never let it go. That self love and positive thinking is fleeting, though, and I think it will be something that takes a while for me to really master and adopt as my permanent way of thinking. It's something I am really going to strive for this year. I see so much beauty in others I want to be able to say the same for myself. I also think that if I'm really able to love my body that it will be able to be it's best for me. Ultimately my body is a vessel in which I can serve the Lord. I do this by being a good wife and mother, serving my fellow man, fulfilling my church calling, sharing the Gospel, and following my passion of helping people improve their health.

Right now I'm in the car heading home from my in-laws bringing my "winter break" to an end. I'll arrive home and dive right back into normal life. Tonight I'll head to a personal training session with a client and to Kroger afterward for a grocery pick up. I'm excited for what this year has in store for me, I feel positive things in the air, and I hope the same for all of you, too! xoxo, Layne


No comments:

Post a Comment